ECV 5 Plaques

Click on the photos to view them full-size!

The first I.O.O.F. meeting was held on May 2, 1878. The first Rebekah meeting was held on May 2, 1888. On July 7, 1892 The original building burned and was rebuilt with the I.O.O.F taking ownership. A rededication of the hall was held on March 3, 1893. 

Dedicated October 6, 2007 New Helvetia Chapter #5 E. Clampus Vitus

 

Started at James Hall’s Hotel in 1850 (an outstanding brick building destroyed by the freeway) on Upper Stockton Road and moved a mile north to James Buckner’s Ranch a few years later. The town moved to its present site on the railroad in the 1870’s.

 

In 1827 “Bible Totin” Jed Smith camped here in. In 1850 these diggings became known as Negro Bar, then named Granite City after the rocks, and in 1855 Joseph Folsom lent his name to this fair city.  Also in 1855 Folsom hired Theodore “Crazy” Judah to lay out a route for the Sacramento Valley Railroad between Sacramento and Folsom, the foothill metropolis. Judah later surveyed and planned the route for the Central Pacific over the Sierra Nevada.

In 1868 Folsom Prison was started and “opened” in 1880. In the day it was hailed as a model prison and was first to light with electricity.  We here declare Joseph Folsom an honorable Clamper and dedicate this plaque to his memory
 

Erected 1987 by New Helvetia Chapter #5 E. Clampus Vitas, on August 8, 1987.

 

“Education Doth Not A Scholar Make” Near here was the first and only college ever in Folsom. It lasted two years (1958-60). Then is closed for a lack of students. Folks probably figured they were smart enough (?). It was a noble try – Too Bad! Dedicated in honor of this class of ‘60.

 

In 1863 a ten mile long short line was built from Brighton Station on the Sacramento Valley RR to this here spot. It was called “Freeport” because it avoided the high charges for landing freight and passengers at the Sacramento City embarcadero. The short line became a popular short cut to the “Washoe” mines. Central Pacific RR bought the line in 1865 and removed the track in 1866 to eliminate competition. A short lived short cut short line. New Helvetia.

New Helvetia Chapter No. 5 E. Clampus Vitus

August 2, 1969

 

This building was built in 1926 after the Main Street fire. Originally it was a Chinese restaurant owned by Sun and Moy Kow. Later it became a cantina/dime a dance hall run by Joe Kum You and Joe Gung. It was common knowledge that some dancers were sporting girls plying their trade. Subsequently there were several owners until it was all but abandoned. The Andersson family purchased and renovated this building in 1978. It is believed the spirits of prior residents still stand guard within this structure.

Dedicated by the New Helvetia Chapter #5
June 18, 2005
E Clampus Vitus

 

This building dates from 1927 when it was rebuilt after a fire in 1926. The upper floor served the Chinese population as a center for religious and social activities.

The Toy family operated a store two doors west called The Quong Wo Sing Co. After they moved here from Truckee in the 1880’s, they supplied food and goods to the community and labor camps in the area. The building has been acquired by the Brannan Andrus Historical Society which has plans to restore it.

Dedicated this 25th day of February 1995, in the Year of the Boar, by E. Clampus Vitus No.5, New Helvetia in cooperation with The Historical Society.  Erected 1995 by New Helvetia Chapter No. 5, E. Clampus Vitus in cooperation with the Brannan Andrus Historical Society.

 

This hotel, the oldest operating in Isleton, opened in 1949. During construction it was discovered that his site was an old Indian burial ground. Manuel Valine was the first owner of this building that operated as a casino. Soon after the grand opening, gambling was outlawed in California and several raids occurred. During one of these raids the slot machines were thrown into the Sacramento River by the Sheriff’s Dept. They were soon retrieved by Valine and some divers. It was during the following raid that the machines met their demise by sledgehammers.

Dedicated on the 10th Anniversary
of the New Helvetia Chapter #5 Isleton Doins
March 5, 2005
E Clampus Vitus

 

During the gold rush period of 1849 Isleton was a sea of swaying tules and peat bogs. Chinese immigrants lured to California for gold stayed on to begin a hand labor task of dredging and constructing levees. When the water was pumped out, these islands were formed creating what Isleton residents now call home.  In 1874 Dr. Josiah Poole founded the town and built a wharf the following year, giving Isleton access to the outside world and farming began.

The Chinese settled in the town and were joined by Japanese immigrants. Their original home sites were on Jackson Slough Road, south of the present historical district, but were destroyed by fire in 1915. The town was rebuilt at the present location only to burn again in 1926. It was rebuilt once again, however this time the buildings were constructed with metal exterior siding as a fire precaution.  This unique community continues on today with the restoration of these old buildings, reflecting their original heritage.

Dedicated March 4, 2000
by
New Helvetia Chapter #5
E Clampus Vitus
In association with the Isleton Historical Society
Satisfactory

 

When the task of building the C.P.R.R. line over the Sierra provided too much for the Irish, Chinese laborers from Kwantung took over. Called Tze Yap or Four Districts Men, their hard work and perseverance earned them the nickname of “Cholly Clocker’s Pets.”
 
Erected 1969 by New Helvetia No.5, E Clampus Vitus, May 10, 1969

 

James Frasinetti, an Italian immigrant, founded this winery in 1897. Frasinetti’s is the oldest family owned and operated wine producer in the Sacramento Valley. At its peak, the winery had over 400 acres of grapes.

Today, grapes have disappeared from this area and the winery is back to the original six acres. This winery produces varietal wines that combine old world traditions with the improved methods of today.

New Helvetia Chapter #5
E Clampus Vitus
NGH Jesse Salinas
February 17, 2007

 

Built in 1852 by the Lady Adams Mercantile Co.; named after the brig which brought the partners around the horn. She has survived fires, flood, and being lifted one story. She has served merchants, bankers, and as a “rooming house”. And has been flat busted more than once. The only survivor of the fire of 1852. She was named California Historical Landmark No. 603 on May 22, 1957 before we got around to it.
 
Erected 1976 by E Clampus Vitas New Helvetia No. 5 (Aug. 7, 1976).

 

Site of a two story brick building built for Robert H. Vance of San Francisco in 1853. One of five brick structures erected that year, it was first occupied as a store. Almost coincident with the founding of Camp Union in 1861, it was taken over by Martin Arenz for a brewery and operated until after 1880. It ended up as a rental hall and was razed in 1952, but for ninety years was called THE SUTTERVILLE BREWERY. It was Sutterville's last remaining building.
 
Erected 1983 by The Ancient and Honorable Order of E. Clampus Vitas, New Helvetia Chapter No.5, August 6, 1983.

 

In the street, at the corner of Fourth and J, on Aug. 14, 1850, settlers were confronted by the Mayor and the Sheriff. The fatalities that day and the next ended

THE SQUATTERS RIOTS
[Column 1]
Hardin Bigelow, Mayor
J. W. Woodland, Assessor
Joseph McKinney, Sheriff

[Column 2]
James Maloney, Squatter
Jesse Morgan, Squatter
Three Others, Squatter

 
Erected 1982 by New Helvetia Chapter No.5, E. Clampus Vitus, August 7, 1982.

********************************************************

All credit and Many Thanks go out to HMdb.org for their tireless contributions to building a Historical Marker Database.  Please take some time to visit them and view the vast depository of information!!

Visit HMbd.org HERE!

********************************************************

Here are some additional plaque additions from chapter Members!

14 MILE ROADHOUSE 

SERVING THE NEEDS OF WAGON TRAINS. THIS WAY STATION WAS WELCOME SIGHT TO WAYFARERS DURING THE GOLD RUSH.  PROVIDING REST AND REFRESHMENT, THIS HOUSE OWNED BY THE VAN MAREN FAMILY. WHO HAVE CONTRIBUTED MUCH TO THE PROSPERITY OF CITRUS HEIGHTS SINCE 1854

  Date of dedication: April, 24th, 2004

New Helvetia Chapter # 5  E Clampus Vitus

Dedicating Humbug: Gary (Wildman) Riley

 

 

RUMSEY

THE TOWN OF RUMSEY WAS FOUNDED IN 1887 BY THE VACA VALLEY & CLEAR LAKE RAILROAD CO. AND WAS NAMED AFTER PIONEER LANDOWNER CAPY. DE WITT C. RUMSEY. THIS SPOT IS THE SITE OF RUMSEY HALL. BULT IN 1906 AND KNOWN FOR ITS REMARKABLE ORIGINAL 1910 MURALS, IT IS THE CENTERPIECE OF THE COMMUNITY AND THE ONLY FUNCTIONING MEETING HALL ON HWY. 16, WEST OF WOODLAND.

  DEDICATED MAY 11’ 2002

E CLAMPUS VITUS

NEW HELVETIA CHAPTER No.5

 

APPROXIMATELY FOUR MILES FURTHER UP THE COMSUMNES RIVER,ON JULY 12, 1851, JARED SHELDON, A FORMER EMPLOYEE OF JOHN SUTTER AND HOLDER OF THE ORIGINAL MEXICAN LAND GRANT, RANCHO OMOCHUMNES, WAS CONFRONTER BY A LARGE PARTY OF MINERS WHOSE CLAIMS WERE THREATENED BY A DAM BEING BUILT BY SHELDON.

  THE FATALITIES THEN AND ON THE FOLLOWING DAY ENDED THE

  RIOT UPON THE COSUMNES

  KILLED                                                      WOUNDED

JARED SHELDON OF UNDERHILL, VT                 CALVIN DICKERSON OF BERNAN CO, MI

JAMES M. JOHNSON OF LAN LANCASTER, IA   EMANUEL BUSCH OF DESMOINE CO, IA

EDWARD CODY OF FOX RIVER, IL                       ONE UNNAMED MINER

 

DEDICATED, JULY 31, 2001,

NEW HELVETIA CHAPTER NO. 5, E CLAMPUS VITUS,

IN COOPERATION WITH DOUGLAS & BARBARA SILVA,  

 

 

YOLO COUNTY COURTHOUSE

AROUND HERE SOMEWHERE WAS ALMOST YOLO COUNTY'S FIRST COURTHOUSE.  IT WAS HERE TWICE -- WHEN IT WAS STOLEN PERMANENTLY BY THE "HIGHBINBERS" IN WOODLAND.

SO BE IT.

New Helvetia Chapter No.5 E. Clampus Vitus

March 21, 1970

 

 

    "HOBOKEN AND THIS IS NO JOKIN"

HOBOKIN, A TENT TOWN IN THIS AREA, BEGAN INEARLY JANUARY 1853 AFTER FLOODS HAD HALTED BUSINESS IN SACRAMENTO CITY.  RIVER STEAMERS LANDED HERE AND HUNDREDS OF TEAMS LOADED SUPPLIES FOR THE MINING CAMPS.  AN ELECTION HELD WITH 1000 ELECTORS PRODUCED 1757 BALLOTS.  THE MAGNOLIA SALOON WAS CITY HALL.  BY MID-FEBRUARY 1853, HOBOKEN WAS ABANDONED AS THE WATER RECEDED IN SACRAMENTO CITY.

IT IS A HIGH POINT IN SACRAMENTO'S HISTORY.

New Helvetia Chapter No.5 E Clampus Vitus

August 3, 1968

 

 

NUEVA FLANDRIA?

JUAN DE SWART CAME WEST IN THE BIDWELL IN 1841.  JUAN DE SWAT CLAIMED A MEXICAN LANDGRANT "NUEVA FLANDRIA" IN 1844

 ON THE WEST BANK OF THE SACRAMENTO.  SOLD LAND WHERE WASHINGTON (BRODERICK) WAS BUILT.    JOHN SCHWARTZ DIES IN 1851 COURTS LATER FOUND THE GRANT NEVER EXISTED.

New Helvetia Chapter No.5

E Clampus Vitus

August 3, 1974

 

 

THE FIRST HUNDRED YEARS ARE THE HARDEST

WHEN SACRAMENTO BOUGHT STEAM PUMPERS THE VOLUNTEERS COULDN'T KEEP THEIR STEAM? UP.  SO THEY HIRED PROFESSIONAL FIREMEN.  SINCE MARCH 30 1872 SACRAMENTO PAID FIREMEN HAVE ALWAYS BEEN FIRST TO RESPOND TO ANY CRISIS.

New Helvetia Chapter No. 5

E Clampus Vitus

August 5, 1972

 

********************************************************

New Helvetia Watering Holes

 

1. 2002 - AJ’s Saloon (Esparto, Ca.) *** NGH Jim Currie

 

2. 2003 - Club Tac (Crockett, Ca.) NGH Blair Foster

1336 Pomona Street, Crockett, Ca. 94525 (510) 787-9942

 

3. 2004 - Johnny C’s (Isleton, Ca.) *** NGH Gary Rilley

 

4. 2004 - Harvey’s Tavern (North Highlands, Ca.) NGH Ed Grindrod

5634 Lura Way, North Highlands, Ca. 95660 (916) 332-2326

 

5. 2007 - The Trap (Sacramento, Ca.) NGH Robert Gomez

6125 Riverside Blvd. Sacramento, Ca. 95831 (916) 395-2614

 

6. 2008 - Tony’s (Walnut Grove, Ca.) NGH Carl Salinas

15147 Market Street, Walnut Grove, Ca. 95690 (916) 776-1317

 

7. 2008 – Brownie’s Lounge (Sacramento, Ca.) NGH Carl Salinas

5858 South Land Park Dr, Sacramento, Ca. 95822 (916) 424-3058

 

8. 2009 - Moon River Inn. (Freeport, Ca.) *** NGH Bill Yoakum

 

9. 2011 - Hide~A~Way Bar & Grill (Vacaville, Ca.) NGH Jose Gutierrez

1080 Orange Drive, Vacaville, Ca. 95687 (707) 448-1900  

********************************************************

10. 2012 - The Firedance Lounge (Sacramento, Ca.) NGH Mark Mellish

8704 La Riveria Drive, Sacramento, Ca. 95826 (916) 363-1997 

********************************************************

11. 2011 - The Connection Bar & Grill (San Francisco, Ca.) NGH Mark Mellish

5740 Mission Street, San Francisco, Ca. 94112 (916) 344-6172

********************************************************

 

  That's all for now - check back later for new additions!

 

(*** = Out of Business)